Frisco, TX asked in Adoption and Family Law for Texas

Q: Do I have to travel to California from Texas to request that my sons biological fathers rights be terminated?

He is in prison in California, and my family and I live in Texas. We want my husband to adopt my son, but having to travel back and forth will be expensive and time consuming. Is there a way I can request his rights to be terminated while being in a different state? My sons biological dad hasn't had contact with him since infancy - my son is now 6 years old.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jon R. Boyd
Jon R. Boyd
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hello. I'm Jon R. Boyd, Family Law Attorney. Let me see if I can help....

I can't tell from your question - has there ever been a court order establishing parentage/paternity? If so, where?

I need to know whether a court anywhere has ever taken jurisdiction over your child. If so, you may have to get that Court to relinquish jurisdiction/get a court here to take over jurisdiction.

If not, I gather you and your child live in Texas. If the child has lived in Texas for at least the past 6 mos., and if you are filing a new suit, your suit would be filed in Texas in the County in which you and your child reside. You would file to terminate the bio father's rights and have your husband adopt your child.

I hope this helps. This is a fact driven issue and therefore I recommend you consult with a family law attorney who is familiar with interstate jurisdiction questions. If you are located in the N. Texas area, I would be pleased to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.