Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Hi I am a green card holder. I Overstayed in egypt more than a year. Now I want to go back to the USA.

I came to Egypt to study here. Then unfortunately I have lost my passport. Then I couldn’t go back to the USA. But my green card is valid until 2023. What can I do right now? Can you help me by giving your precious advise!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Anderson
Denise Anderson
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC

A: An immigration officer will look at your absence abroad and look at your intentions, to determine if you abandon your status as a green card holder. If you travel abroad for a continuous year or more, you likely will need a reentry permit to be readmitted to the United States. There are some exceptions for the continuous one-year abroad, where a reentry permit may not be required. Your best option is to contact an immigration attorney who will guide you through the right process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.