Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Florida

Q: Hi, I am looking to hopefully resolve an old Credit card judgement against me that was filed in 2007 in Florida,

I live in the UK now, and I am hoping to resolve it as I am planning a vacation to Florida but I am aware there could be a bench warrant for me as I couldn't attend the hearing. I work part time and can only afford the original amount but I am willing to pay monthly should discover card be willing, most lawyers may only work locally, how can I handle it from my end?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There is no bench warrant out for you for a credit card financial judgment, the judgment is good for 10 years and then 10 more if renewed. You may want to start by looking up the case online with the clerk of the court in the county where you lived and see what it says, you can also call the clerk and request all documents if you cannot access it all online for like $1 per page plus mailing/postage costs. That debt has likely been sold and resold numerous times to various collection companies and there is no telling who owns it at this time. I am not sure that after 12 years passing that you should be that worried or motivated to seek out these people at all, if you do not live in the USA and do not intend to live in the USA I am not sure there is much they can do as you do not have anything they can put a lien on here in the USA and they cannot garnish your wages since you are not here either. As far as coming for a visit for vacation, I doubt anyone will notice you coming and going. Remember, credit card debts and collections are generally civil actions, you do not get arrested or go to jail for not being able to pay a debt, unless there is more tot he story we do not know about.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.