San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: I'm a non custodial parent, and i owe child support for 1 child. i am a single mother with 2 other children

i do not receive child support for the 2 that live with me. i have tried 2 times to modify my orders with no help. I owe $17,000. I'm very low income, on food stamps and on medicaid. i have an auto immune disease, fibromyolia and a few other problems. my middle child has asthma and my youngest is nearly blind in one eye. i have a case with attorney General against my 2nd husband and he owes me close to $60,000. i cant pay what i owe because i cant get my child support. i just really need help. i understand that i have to pay, but i do not agree with what they say i owe. thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jon R. Boyd
Jon R. Boyd
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hi, I'm very sorry for your predicament.

My best advice is that you hire an attorney if at all possible. Depending on where you live, there may be Pro Bono (free) legal services available.

It sounds like you are going through the Attorney General to collect the child support owed you, which is the best you can do otherwise.

As far as what you apparently owe for another child, people often are surprised by the alleged arrearage amount, thinking it could not be right. But they forget that child support accrues interest and it does not take long for the interest to add significant;y to the principal amount. However, it you paid directly to the Obligee or had possession of the child for more time than your visitation schedule, you are entitled to credit for that.

Finally, if you receive Social Security Disability, you can ask the court to order that the child support be satisfied by the child's receipt of a disability payment due to your disability.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.