Holiday, FL asked in Civil Litigation, Collections, Securities Law and White Collar Crime for Florida

Q: I own a small marketing business and I have a former client who won't pay his invoices.

I discontinued work with this particular client because I discovered he was committing what I was quiet certain was investor fraud and did not want this to affect my or my companies reputation. I later discovered that he left the state of Connecticut because he had been summoned and fined for the same thing. I am curious to know both who I report the fraud to and if it would be better/more cost effective for me to try to get an attorney and take him to court or to go through a service like rocket receivables. This may be a foolish question but I've never had a client not pay me. I guess I've been lucky in dealing with mostly honest people. I had multiple consultants working on various forms of marketing and video production for him and his outstanding invoices are over $300,000. All of my consultants own a stake in the business I started and understand the situation but I'd like to get them paid for their services if I can.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unless you sue the deadbeat client and receive a Judgment, collecting all the money they owe you is nearly impossible--especially without competent counsel to help you. Look for a good lawyer using the Find a Lawyer tab at the top of every page.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.