Ironwood, MI asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Michigan

Q: My Ex-wife and I that live together have been constantly harassed for 6yrs,online,public and want it to stop. How?

I divorced my 1st wife in 2012, married my current ex-wife in 2014 and my 1st ex and my daughter(18) keeps harassing in public, online, my own family now involved and all their friends. I have had cease and desist letters sent out, told them I don't want contact and they still do. Have posts all over FB, blocked them all and still get messages. Now their friends are accusing my current ex of things she has never done. We have moved from MI all the way to OK and back to get away. Law enforcement don't help since they are related to them. We don't want any contact by any of them in anyway and made it clear. We were told we don't have enough for a court order, but all we want is to be left alone. My current ex wife who lives with me is disabled and scared to go out in public as something might happen to her when I'm not around. We can't live like this and got a divorce because of this,and they still harass. All we want is a PPO or some order to leave us alone as it don't stop.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The 'solution' would seem to be a personal protection order. Investigate that to determine if you have enough evidence to proceed with a local family law attorney.

That said, appreciate that a PPO is only a court order. If your ex continues to violate that order, it would require further court proceedings for the Court to enforce its order. You are in for a long haul, and it REALLY makes sense to hire a local attorney to help you with the process so your ex will take things seriously, and you have someone in your corner to insure things proceed as smoothly as possible. There are MANY opportunities for complexity, even if you DO have an attorney, so don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish' about this. The up front cost of an attorney will be paid back many times over time.

Good luck.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.