High Point, NC asked in Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: I was recently in a car accident that wasn't my fault and injured my left knee.

The other persons insurance company wants me to sign a release for now and then pay me. Im not sure if i should sign the form now and settle or if i should get a lawyer.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Denise Anderson

  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: My recommendation, do not sign the release form and settle, get an attorney to represent you. I recommend that you reach out to an attorney who practices Personal Injury. Most insurance companies do not have your best interest at heart. They will not voluntarily disclose all your options for recovery and explain how you can maximize those options. An attorney can represent you and obtain the right financial recovery that you deserve. Do not sign the form and settle for less recovery than you can obtain. An attorney will help you to obtain your maximum amount of recovery.

Tim Akpinar


A: It's a difficult question to answer without knowing more about the level of injury. Hopefully, you are okay. The decision could be easier to make after arranging a consult with a North Carolina personal injury attorney. Without knowing anything about the release you're being asked to sign, this much can be said - a release generally means giving up rights to all future claims in exchange for the settlement check. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.