Hubert, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: My 8 yr old son lives in GA with his mother and step father. 7 yr since I seen him. Can I terminate my rights. I'm in NC

They have brought up the step father adopting him. My arrears will end up being paid but they have brought it up. Only issue is when I agree the mother gets angry and threatens me with the law or to make sure she gets every penny from me. The step father is a great dad to my son and I feel it's in his best interest for the step father to be his father. I have a 1 year old and 2 year old that live with me and their mom in NC. My 8yr old in GA knows who I am but doesnt know me. He knows his step father as his dad. Can I voluntarily terminate my rights so he can adopt him??

1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes. You just need to file a Consent to Adoption. Once the adoption is final, your rights will then be terminated.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.