Saint Louis, MO asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: I was released from an apartment lease after 2 months. Can I sue for deposit and 2 months rent? I was told all repairs

Would be made before moving in. No repairs were made and I was told they weren't going to be made because of cost. After 2 months I was released from lease. Made all rental payments on time. Can I take to small claims court? Do I sue apartment management or owners?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You could sue your landlord in small claims court for up to twice the amount wrongfully withheld, so long as the total is less than $5000.

If you can prove that a misrepresentation was made about the security deposit, it might be worth consulting with an attorney who has experience with claims under the Merchandising Practices Act (MPA). The MPA is Missouri's consumer protection statute and it has strong remedies, including the ability to seek punitive damages and attorneys' fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.