Estacada, OR asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Environmental for Oregon

Q: I am a land owner in mult co. Having some major logging done. Company is grossly unprofessional. I need legal advice!

I live in multnomah county in Corbett. The logging outfit has all but quit, with a huge mess, not fixing the driveway or regraveled, and still many trees left to cut down and haul to the lumbermill! I have 12.75 acres and this is a huge undertaking! I have bills to pay and trees to replant. With them stopping like this without notice, I cannot pay my bills pertaining to this logging, unless they take the logs to the lumbermill for payment. The owner of the company has never contacted me to let me know whats going on about anything or why all the sudden and without notification. All this while I have been battling with heart failure, pulminary hypertention, an ulcer, and ciliphylaxis! My heart cannot handle this kind of stress anymore and this extra stess is reaking havic on my health and mental state. I cannot ficus on healing with this logging yoyo stop and start stress anymore! Please advice as to if I have any ground to stand on or can file a lawsuit against this company? Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You will have to consult an Attorney because I would expect you signed some type of contract or paperwork and part of the answer to your question is figuring out what your rights or liabilities are under the contract. Sometimes you need to take formal steps like have an Attorney write a letter to the first contractor informing them that they are in breach and they have x number of days to fix the breach or else....... and state exactly what the "or else" is. With the help of an Attorney you should be able to figure out if you can hire someone else to finish the job and what if anything you owe the first contractor. You should also contact the State of Oregon and see if this business has a valid CCB license and a bond. I am truly sorry you are going through such a hard time but it would really be better to do this with an Attorney so you don't get more legal headaches. Look for an Attorney familiar with construction law, real estate law and construction liens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.