Vancouver, WA asked in Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: If the state issued a DV protection order and I did not want one in the first place can it be dropped or cancelled

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: A DV protection order is petitioned for and controlled by the party seeking the order (petitioner). A criminal no contact order is entered by a Court typically at the request of the State (prosecutor).

If it is indeed a protection order, then you should be able to go to the Court house and request a dismissal without issue. If it is a criminal no contact order you should consult an attorney to inform you about the most effective strategy for motioning the Court to recall the order.

If you are in the Puget Sound area, we do handle criminal no contact order cases and can be contacted for a free consultation.

Nadine Bertman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.