Fort Worth, TX asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: My fiancee has a 3 year old from a previous relationship and the father is not in his life at all and my fiancee has to

Pull teeth to get child support payments. Is there any way I can adopt him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa  Webb
Melissa Webb
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: First, in Oklahoma a step-parent adoption requires you be married to the child’s parent for one (1) year. Second, you have to meet the qualifications set out in the law, mainly dealing with criminal history. Third, If the child is over twelve (12), they would have to consent. If these qualifications are met, it’s probably obvious the adoption will be much easier if the biological father consents. However, it is possible to terminate his parental rights without his consent, but it will depend on additional facts as to whether or not that is viable. Luckily, in Oklahoma a step-parent adoption is the only instance a home study is not required. I recommend you consult an attorney experienced with adoptions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.