Las Vegas, NV asked in Business Law and Tax Law for Nevada

Q: Hi, Im going to form an LLC but have some questions about starting up without a lot of capital and taxation questions.

So I am the owner of a music group and naturally we don't have a large amount of capital to start a huge company but I was wondering how it works with taxes once you form an LLC and pay for things for your company with personal money before a lot of profit starts coming in is it tax deductible? I was also wondering if i need a business license to go with my LLC to sell music digitally around the world?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Patricia Warnock
Patricia Warnock
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Speaking with a tax planner is your best bet. He/She can help you decide what entity type is best for you and how to structure your entity to work in your best taxable interests. Business licenses vary from state to state and even county to county or town to town. You should speak with an entertainment law lawyer.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

A: Tax stays the same between sole prop and LLC but as a group you're probably a partnership whether you intend to be or not and if you file for a multi member LLC you're definitely a partnership.

The LLC gives you the option to make tax planning elections and gives you liability protection.

NV is a bit pricey for LLCs, around $385 for the annual list and $75 for a county license, don't quote on that it's been a few months since I set one up there.

You need a business license where you operate and you need to know which jurisdictions tax downloaded or streamed music.

You need to find a tax/business attorney that knows a bit of music and an accountant that's not an idiot.

Good luck.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

A: Free practical advice offered for the last 41 years to people starting or operating small businesses:

The main difference between successful small businesses and those that fail within a relatively short period of time is good legal advice. The owners of most successful small businesses understand that retaining a competent experienced business lawyer and paying modest legal fees to advise them--from day one—may end up saving them thousands of dollars later when they must fix unnecessary disasters that could have been avoided. Hiring a good business lawyer and then calling upon them to help you avoid the many minefields beats asking for free business advice on Justia. Try it and see.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.