Hazel Green, AL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: Massachusetts- Rights of the father to seek psychological help for his son, mom refuses. What can be done?

Step mother is being verbally and physically abused by the her oldest step son. Father wants to get him psychological help for these issues but the mother isn't cooperating. Child lives 3 hours away in another state. What are the father's rights to getting his son the help he needs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You have not stated the age of the child. If he is a minor and if father has joint legal custody then he can seek a Modification for Medical decision-making authority based upon mother's refusal to deal with the aggression . You would need a Petition for same and a Motion for Temporary Orders as it sounds like this happens during visitation? It is unclear whether the police have been involved. If so, it is possible that the DCF would become involved as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.