Bloomington, IN asked in Divorce, Family Law, Identity Theft and Libel & Slander for Indiana

Q: How long does a woman have to change her name after the court restored the name she requested? It’s been seven years.

The woman has picked up many charges and is using my last name to do so including a recent deception charge. She’s trying to impersonate my children’s deceased mother as well in hopes of becoming the payee for disability or social security. Plus, she’s squatting in a deceased man’s house and it’s all in my last name and affecting my life.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on the information provided in your question as long as the court issued an order she could restore her maiden name upon the dissolution of marriage then it can be done, even though the order if old.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.