Indiana Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: my old roommate has been using my payroll card for months...

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft, Small Claims and Employment Law for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 26, 2019
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
What's the question? Report him to the police, freeze your credit if you are afraid that a loan has been taken out in your name or other accounts established and look into filing a claim against him for any damages you have incurred.

Q: Someone called my college impersonating me to get tax forms using my social security number, and changed my address

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Tax Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 4, 2017
Paul Stanko's answer
Unless you have a suspect, calling the police may be futile. Ask your college security or police department to investigate, and contact one of the three major credit agencies to put out a fraud alert.

Q: Company sent my w2 to another employee and she opened it what do I do to prevent identity theft?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 21, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
There are private vendors that provide identity theft protection, but you can also put out a fraud alert through any of the three major credit reporting agencies. You can do this online.

Q: What do you do in identy thef matter

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 20, 2011
Burton A. Padove's answer
I am saddened to hear about this invasion in your life. File a police report. Contact your insurance company in the event that you have any coverage for ID theft. Complete the forms and read the aricle at the Federal Trade Commission Website, do a credit check and cancel all credit cards, indicate to the credit card issuer that there has been identity theft-do this in writing. Send letters to the three major

credit reporting agencies reporting the theft and addressing each adverse...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.