Houston, TX asked in Child Support for California

Q: Child support over 18

Child turned 18 and moved in with his birth mom she got me for child support he’s on probation and barley going to school is there anything I can do ? He’s getting tattoos on his face and she lets him do anything he wants !

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andy Cook
Andy Cook
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I need to know what court is in charge of this case, i.e., that is, is it in California, where I practice, or Texas, where your question indicates you are from (Houston) and where I am not licensed to practice.

Under California law, child support ends when the child turns 18, unless the child is a full-time high school student (and some other factors also apply). If the child is "barely" going to school, it doesn't sound like he's a full-time student.

There are exceptions under this California law. One would be if you owe past support; you have to pay that no matter how much time has gone by. Second would be if you, in a previous court hearing or court filing, agreed to pay child support longer than what would otherwise be the law in California. Third, and this probably does not apply, would be if your son is incapacitated and cannot work and is likely to end up being supported by the government.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.