Peekskill, NY asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: How do we deal with a person who has a small business on our property in Puerto Rico without our permission?

My father lives in Yabucoa, Puerto Rico and has a small piece of land across the street from his house. There is a main road between his house and a small business a nephew started without my father's permission. The nephew has been there for at least 5 years. It's a place to sell sandwiches, shish kabob, drinks etc. My father told him that it is on his property, but he says it belongs to the Municipal and is now expanding his business. We have the deed to show that it is his. My father is 93 years old and he does not know how to handle this situation. So we appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. All he needs to do is to get an Attorney to file a process known as "Desahucio" which will have the Court order his nephew and the business removed from the Property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.