Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Child's father refusing contact before and after birth, what are my options?

My childs father disappeared after he found out that we had a child (even though we were trying and it was planned). He hasn't changed his mailing address and he is having all of his family refuses any contact with me. I honestly want him to just sign away his rights. I have been seeing someone who is helping me raise her as his own and is willing to adopt her. Her birth father is very abusive and I don't want that life for her. What are my options and how do I go about making sure my daughtet is safe and taken care of? Can my partner legally adopt her or does her father have to consent even though we cannot find him? (His name is not on the birth certificate as he obviously was not present to consent.)

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The father can certainly give up all of his rights if there is another ready and qualified to adopt. You’ve got a number of steps to follow and because of such you should consult an attorney to assist you. Good luck. 888-343-4529.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.