Asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: My 12 y/o step daughter type 1 diabetic. She stated numerous times her mother does not check her work. What can we do?

Her blood sugar bottoms out a lot, the sky rockets to the 3-400' s. We her dad and I have her on school breaks we keep it under control with diet. She was diagnosed in September 2015 and still don't have a lot of knowledge about it. She has told us that the her mother told her not to listen to the doctor. She has told numerous people at our church about diabetes issues and how her step dad gets special food and she eats noodles, top ramen, spaghetti, potatoes (high starch foods). We are afraid for her health. What do we need to do/can we do? Her 14 y/o sister corroborates what she says. The 14 y/o wants to move down here because she is tires of her and her sister being left alone or with a 30 something y/o man. Her mom and step dad go to music shows at night and on the weekends.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You may have a case for a custody modification. It sounds like the best interest of the child is going to be in your care and custody if her Mom is truly not making any efforts to control her diabetes. Also, any Judge would likely agree that it is dangerous to not listen to medical recommendations regarding a disease like that. A modification of custody is very tricky and can be difficult if you do not have an attorney to help you with it. I would recommend seeking the advise of a family law attorney licensed in the State of Oklahoma to help you guys with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.