Tuscaloosa, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: Can child support be transferred from a state that ends support at 19yo to a state that ends at 18yo just to end support

The noncustodial parent lives in Florida. The custodial parent and child lives in Alabama. The noncustodial parent thought he was done with child support when the child reaches 18, however in Alabama its 19yo. He now wants to petition the court to transfer the case to his state so that he can get of child support by the child's 18th birthday which is in 3 months.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Another imaginative idea from a person who does not understand the law. That won't work. The case stays where the child is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.