Kent, WA asked in Contracts, Probate, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Washington

Q: My Fathers wife promised me and my Father, that she'd give his kids half of the money from the sale of the house.

I cared for my Father for the past 14yrs until he passed. Spent 85% of my time with a my father making sure he took his meds and insulin and also took him to almost all his doctor appointments and surgeries. We pretty much did everything together. I have witnesses to her making these statements about giving half of the property sales to me because she knew that's what Dad wanted her to do so there's no reason to go to probate. She also repeated this statement during the funeral that she ask me to take care of all arrangments cause I knew him better than anyone else. Well she sales the property for $500,000. she also sold my personal belongings along with my Fathers in a yard sale. Falsely accuses me of harassment so i can't go near the property while she's doing this. the judge throws it out for no grounds. Then she leaves the state taking everything with her. Can I take any legal action?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You might have grounds for suing your step mother for breach of contract. It sounds like there was an agreement and it was supported by consideration. The fact that there are witnesses to her promise is very helpful. Seek out a contract litigation attorney in your area.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.