Alexandria, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: Can I marry an American citizen while my asylum case is pending?

Well, I am applying for assylum during my time here in US I made a relationship with American citizen for more than one year we wanna get married and he wanna help me with the immigration documents but he in the past made a student loan and is still pending and recently he had a car accident were unfortunately the pedestrian die because he was walking in highway in a dark area on the left way the investigation is still going that can affect our process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: Counsel anywhere in the USA can represent you for your marriage petition. More facts would be needed to see if any grounds of inadmissibility apply. Your fiancé legal problems with his car accident would most likely not affect the process, but there may be exceptions to this that apply. A free phone consultation should be pursued with counsel. Call to discuss.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.