Baltimore, MD asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: Family land since 1800’s in Surry Va. Want to stop unlawful sale.

What can we do to stop sell of land. Heirs do not want to sell our land but the court is trying to force. All taxes are paid every year and we have roughly 45 acres. Heirs never had a dispute but courts seems to think so. How can we stop a sale we never asked for

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Appeal the court's decision and ask for a stay of the order to sell.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.