Evergreen Park, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: I am married. However, I want a divorce and have not yet been. I live in an apartment with my daughter, want him out.

He sexually kissed my 16 year old daughter, but I never filed a police report. Also, he threatens to have me taken to jail if I don't let him in? I am married. We dont feel comfortable with him in the home. The police said I cant force him to leave, but can they force me to let him in?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Don't rely on the police for legal advice. You can get an order of protection keeping him away from you and your daughter as well as your home. Although you can seek an order of protection on your own, I recommend that you contact a lawyer about this. If it's worth doing, it's worth being sure it gets done right.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.