Dallas, TX asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Can I file an emergency custody order while being married? He resides in Tennessee and my daughter and I reside inArkan

We have split time with her for the summer there isn't any legal agreement or divorce proceedings filed. School is about to start as I will have her during the week per verbal agreement. I received Medicaid and arkids for my daughter and I are the state is now requiring I file for child support to maintain these ,he is angry about this and threatened to keep her as she is currently with him in TN. But she IS a legal resident of Arkansas

1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It sounds like you need to get divorced and get a custody/support order in place.

There are some potential issues with jurisdiction because she spends what looks like equal time in both states, but regardless, this is an issue you probably need to get in front of an attorney to figure out how to handle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.