Piedmont, SC asked in Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Can I move from SC to TX with my son without having to go to court?

I have sole custody of my soon to be 12 yr old son. We have a court order for standard visitation and child support. We live in SC and dad lives in NC. Never married. My son hasn't gone for a visit since before April. Dad has agreed to that. I have been offered a promotion in TX. Can we have a document drawn up and notarized about the move or should we go before a Judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: This is a complicate issue that you will likely have to go before a judge to amend the current custody order. Even if the father agrees to the move the best course of action is to contact an attorney to amend the current custody order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.