Asbury Park, NJ asked in Divorce for New Jersey

Q: Keeping the marital home as a joint asset after divorce.

My wife and I separated two years ago and agreed she would buy me out of the house. The mortgage is still upside down, so she cannot refinance into her name. We already have an MOU to file uncontested which includes the original buy out clause, but what legalities do we have to consider by filing and maintaining the joint asset? Do we have to change the MOU to read as per our current situation before we can file it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. I understand you would like to learn more about how to proceed with your uncontested divorce proceeding. First, the MOU should reflect whatever it is you intend to do. If the language is that there will be a buyout, but there is no intention to do a buyout, the MOU should be changed. Second, if the plan is to keep the house in joint names, you are essentially agreeing to remain a business partner with your soon to be ex-spouse. Any non-payment of the mortgage would continue to hurt your credit if you stay on the mortgage, and any future liens of judgments against your ex-wife could hurt your equity in the property. It is a somewhat uncommon arrangement for ex-spouses to continue owning any investment together but it can work in certain scenarios. I recommend you make an appointment with a family law attorney to further discuss this issue. I hope this was helpful to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.