Temple, TX asked in Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Massachusetts

Q: Mental Anguish

I am a female who was involved in an abusive relationship for 7 months in Massachusetts in 2012. Because of the relationship I became severely mentally ill and am still ill and receiving Social Security disability. I've been unable to work full time since 2013. Would I be able to file a lawsuit (either Mental anguish lawsuit or Intentional infliction of emotional distress, or anything else) against my male abuser? Could I at least file a report with the local police department?

1 Lawyer Answer
Karen Piso Nadeau
Karen Piso Nadeau
  • Cambridge, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I am sorry for your terrible situation. I assume this abuse happened while you were age 18 or over. Unfortunately, I believe the statute of limitations would bar any claims you may have. Typically, you have three years from the time of the incident to bring a lawsuit. The time has likely passed allowing you to bring a claim since this occurred about 7 years ago. There are some exceptions to this. I am curious as to whether you filed any police reports in 2012 and why you have waited this long to consider this. You can certainly try to file a report with the local police. However, given the delay, this may not receive the attention it otherwise would if filed close in time to the incidents. I wish you the best. Note-There is no attorney client relationship established by responding to this question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.