Washington, DC asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: Answer to N-400 Application: Part 10 - 9 - B?

I am filing for my citizenship application (N-400). I need to know what should I put in Part 10 - 9 - B of the form "My Prior Spouse's Immigration status when my marriage ended"?

We get married in the US in 2013 in VA (both on J-1 visa). She went back and I applied for Asylum. I got it, then I applied for her to join me in the US. She arrived in the US as "derivative asylee". 2 years later, our marriage has ended in a final divorce (lasted in total 4.5 years). She did not get a Green Card (from my part at least), and I don't her current status or if she is even here of left.

Should I put "other (explain): derivative asylee status"? Should I leave it empty?

What would be the best answer to this question?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patricia C. Wall-Santiago
Patricia C. Wall-Santiago
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: It is not expected that you know everything about your ex-wife. So by witting "unknown" should be sufficient and better than leaving the question unanswered.

Good luck!!


Patricia C. Wall

Practice Limited to Immigration & Nationality Law

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.