New Port Richey, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Question modified - Can pending child support order be changed to request child support prior to filing date?

Mother left July 2013. Filed paperwork to change custody and child support in 2016. Through mediation, all custody was agreed upon but all financial was "reserved for later date". Financial portion still open to this day and has not been agreed upon or finalized. Since it is still open and financials have not been enforced or even completed, can the financial portion be modified to request support for 2 years prior to filing? Kind of confusing. Child has now relocated to other parent's. Since other parent is now asking for 29 months of future c.s., can we request the 24 months prior to filing cancel out 24 months of future c.s.? If not, can we include the prior 24 months since financial modification is still "

reserved" and never ordered/finalized?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If I understand correctly you filed a Petition to Modify an already existing child support order in 2016. If that is the case then you generally cannot go retroactive from that 2016 Petition to Modify. You can still enforce the child support order that was in effect prior to 2016.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.