Houston, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: TX oag declined to initiate court date to establish child support

My estranged spouse has been out of the house over 12 months. We have 2 children (1 is special needs/disabled SSI) He has a lawyer and served me with divorce papers but never set date in court. Oag has “combined” my request for child support hearing with his motion even though no date has been set in court by his lawyer. The oag refuses to act in this matter because his lawyer filed motion right after my ex was served by oag initially. Judge was out day of court and oag has refused to assist or reschedule since the court date that had no judge present. I can not afford attorney. That’s why I asked oag for help. How can I encourage oag to serve my ex even though he has attorney? It’s been 13 months since he left us. Hasn’t asked to see the children, dropped medical insurance, moved to unknown address.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: When a divorce is initiated it will not only handle the issue of dissolving the marriage, but it must include the issues of child custody and child support. It is normal practice to consolidate a child support case pending with the OAG into a later filed divorce. In a nutshell, you have to defend yourself in the divorce to secure your child support payments and custody arrangements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.