Snellville, GA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Georgia

Q: What would be examples of a conservator having a financial Interest in a minor's estate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mandy Moyer
Mandy Moyer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cumming, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Ah, yes - conservatorships can be tricky to navigate without legal counsel!

To answer your question: a potential conservator would have an interest in the minor child's estate if the minor child and the potential conservator BOTH have an interest in the same property.

For example, if an individual dies without a Will in the State of Georgia, the surviving spouse and the minor children would both have an interest in the estate that is created following the death of the individual. So, the wife and the kids would all have an interest in the house. This would mean that the potential conservator (the wife/mom in this example) would have a financial interest in the minor's estate (i.e. the minor's share of the house).

Need more help? Give my office a call, and we'd be happy to help. Good luck!

Jammie Taire agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.