Douglasville, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia

Q: if a guest refuses to sign a lease, what should I do to get them evicted

Ex gf does not want to leave and does not want to sign lease rental agreement (month to month). what are my options? she has called the cops because I had to break in my basement (keys locked inside) and she has destroyed some of my personal property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anitra Walker
Anitra Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Although your ex-girlfriend has not signed an actual lease, because she is living in the property, a tenancy at will has been created. You will need to give her a 60-day notice to leave. If she remains after the 60th day, you can file a dispossessory (eviction proceeding) in the county in which the property is located. With regards to the destroyed personal property, you can make an informal written demand to be compensated. This demand can include either receipts or estimates for the property that was destroyed. If you are not successful, there is always the option of bringing a civil lawsuit for the value of the damaged property or initiating a criminal proceeding (warrant application). You will need to present evidence that it was in fact your ex-girlfriend that destroyed the property. I would suggest an in-depth consultation with an attorney on both of these matters before moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.