Bismarck, ND asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: In the state of ND. If I fired my attorney at trial and requested a new one but the judge denied me a new attorney. Are

Their laws supporting me? I then represented myself but my original lawyer was on standby. I did not want her anywhere near me as she was not supporting me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: You have the right to an attorney at public expense if you cannot afford an attorney. You don't, however, have the right to pick your attorney at public expense. Unfortunately, many people end up being unsatisfied with their public defender. But being unsatisfied with your public defender leaves you with limited options: spend money on a private attorney, continue with the public defender, or represent yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.