Duncan, OK asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can a judge require me to hire an attorney for a misdemeanor charge?

The 6th amendment allows me the right of self-representation, after I entered my plea of not guilty for a misemeanor charge of disturbing the peace, the judge said he would put me in jail if I showed up at my next court date without an attorney . Can this judge actually throw me in jail and violate my constitutional right of self-representation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Keegan Kelley Harroz
Keegan Kelley Harroz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes and No. If you do not file the appropriate motions and entry of appearance the judge can revoke your bond or hold you in contempt of court, which carries up to 6 months in the county jail. With that being said, I am an attorney with over 10 years of experience in criminal defense and I would never represent myself. That is just foolish no matter who you are. You need to hire an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.