Winthrop, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: Is it legal to get around a parked police cruiser by using the opposite driving lane?

It was on a two way back street. A police cruiser blocked one lane with a sign saying no through traffic. I used the opposite driving lane to safely get around the cruiser and enter the restricted street, but got a citation for marked lane violation. Do I have a case to contest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You should take a picture right away if you can, and file the appeal. I would say that is a good case, since you lived or were going to one of the restricted addresses you should have been permitted to travel. usually they stop traffic on one end and rotate the travel each way. So long as you did this safely, and he forced you into the other lane by his vehicle, you can and should be successful on an appeal, somewhat depending on what Court hears it....Good luck- PS if you want to optimize your success think about getting alawyer for the clerk's hearing; that way you increase the chance to avoid SDIP points or possible license suspension for a moving violation....

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.