Greenwich, NY asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: I have 2 children, one of which just moved in with me. I live out of state. How can I file a child support modificati

Both parents mutually agreed that our 16 year old would move to New York and enroll in schooling. We cannot agree on a modification of support. Is there a way to have the support (and custody) modified without having to appear in court or hire a lawyer? The process seems fairly straight forward since its all income based.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: There should be a Joint Modification Petition and Agreement and Financial Statements of both parties and if the MDOR is involved they need to be notified as well. You can go on the state website for the forms. Child support should be under the child support guidelines which are driven by the parties income. There is a website for Child support guidelines calculation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.