Richmond, VA asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: Who has Jurisdiction of the child support case if the father of my son and my son lives in Philadelphia and I moved to

Puerto Rico, but the father was the one to submit the peticion requesting child support?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The jurisdiction belongs to the Court that issued the child support order or has a pending case where the child is a resident. If an order to pay child support has been issued then that issuing Court will have continual and exclusive jurisdiction on said matter even if the child is no longer a resident of said jurisdiction as long as one of the parties to the case continúes to reside in said jurisdiction. If no order has been issued by any Court then the jurisdiction belongs to the Court where the child resides. Please refer to the Uniforme Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) the link is;

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Philadelphia the place where he filed will have jurisdiction and they will request the assistance of any jurisdiction you relocate to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.