Las Vegas, NV asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nevada

Q: My mom and deceased stepfather has a living trust in Clark County. How do I remove my stepfather's name from the trust?

My mom wants to do remove his name and do a Deed Upon Death naming me as the grantee of the house they own.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: In most states a deceased trustee is removed from title by recording an Affidavit of Death of Trustee. However, that does not guarantee that your mother has the authority to do what she is proposing. The only way to determine whether she can do that would be to review the trust, and even if the trust says she has total authority over the house, there are additional steps involved. This is not a do-it-yourself project. Hire an attorney to do this right. You don't want to create title issues that will be extremely difficult and expensive to fix after your mother is gone and it is too late to obtain her signature.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.