Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arizona

Q: Husbands fathers Granddaughter was given medical Pos in Arizona. Hospital called her on Monday he Died on Wednesday

She took the car keys, the laptop the phone and still never called anyone she lied to the mortuary and said he was homeless with no family she cannot afford to pay for the cremation but she told us we have no rights We believe she was undue influence on him She will not show the will And just left his body at the mortuary. He will not let his son who is next of Ken the care of anything

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Powers of attorney have no effect after the principal dies. She has no authority.

Your best recourse is to hire a local probate attorney to help you probate the decedent's estate. If you don't have access the will, but you believe that she does, you can get the court to order her to turn it over. Also, she must turn over all of the assets she stole. If she doesn't, then she will be in contempt of court and, also, you can file a police report for theft.

If after she turns over the will you find that it suddenly leaves everything to her, then you can talk to your attorney about contesting the will on the grounds of undue influence.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.