Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi

Q: My husband & my mother-n-law filed our taxes & signed my name without my consent or my knowledge of him claiming me.

My husband refused to give me any of the money. Is there anything I can do legally? He also claimed my 2 children who were in my sole custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Naperville, IL

A: It sounds like you suspect that your husband has acted fraudulently. This situation is much more common that you might think. Therefore, IRS has organized several methods for you to report the tax return filing, to report the inappropriate claim of dependents, and to clear your good name. You will be able to file your own accurate tax return, and even claim your any exemption for dependents, to which you may be lawfully entitled.

Look at this page on "How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?"

I understand that you want part of any tax refund, which may possibly be fraudulently received by your husband. However, concern about refunds is not part of my answer here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.