Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: What is the ejectment process and time for an occupied property in Mississippi acquired through a tax deed

Hi I would like to know what is the process and time for an ejectment in Mississippi State when the property is obtain through a patent from the state

Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Feb 24, 2020

In Mississippi, most property owners get two years after the sale to redeem the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: Does Mississippi allow churches as a 501(c)3 to have a consumer's certificate of exemption on sales tax?

We have come from other states that do have exemptions for churches on sales tax and It just seems odd that Mississippi would not as well

Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Sep 25, 2019

No, Mississippi does not exempt religious organizations from sales tax. However, churches may be exempt on the purchase of utilities if they qualify for a federal income tax exemption under 26 USCS Section 501(c)(3) if the utilities are used on a property that is primarily used for religions or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: My husband & my mother-n-law filed our taxes & signed my name without my consent or my knowledge of him claiming me.

My husband refused to give me any of the money. Is there anything I can do legally? He also claimed my 2 children who were in my sole custody.

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins answered on Sep 17, 2019

It sounds like you suspect that your husband has acted fraudulently. This situation is much more common that you might think. Therefore, IRS has organized several methods for you to report the tax return filing, to report the inappropriate claim of dependents, and to clear your good name. You will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: We boughy a car. Got title put in our name already. Yhen found out there are back taxes owed on car. Who is responsible?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 20, 2019

In most states the owner of the car is responsible for all taxes owed on it; however, that information is not as readily available as it is in other situations--like real estate taxes and IRS liens on real property. The general rule is that taxes go along with the items bought, which means you, as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: I have a public sale state tax lien on my record how long is the statue of limitation in the state of mississippi
Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Oct 30, 2018

"Depending upon tax type, the statute of limitations begins running when a tax return is filed, or on the due date of the return. The statute of limitations is typically 36 months from that date as specified in the various tax laws.

If a tax return is filed prior to the due date of the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Child Support for Mississippi on
Q: My divorce papers say I can claim two children and my ex wife can claim two children but for this past tax year all the

Children and my ex wife lived with me and I supported them all. So do I have to go by what the divorce papers said? They say that I can only claim two

Randall R. Saxton
Randall R. Saxton answered on Jan 16, 2018

If the children lived with you for at least six months of the tax year and if you provided more than half of their living expenses for the tax year or if you get the noncustodial parent to sign an IRS Form 8332, you can claim them.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Foreclosure for Mississippi on
Q: I have a tax lien on several properties in Mississippi that i purchased from an auction; how can i own these parcels?

A couple of the properties are 3 years behind on taxes. What steps can I take to own them? If one of the houses are abandoned, can I file some paperwork and do some work to become the owner? I am the only lien holder on a couple and there's a couple lien holders on the others.

Baskin Lowber Jones
Baskin Lowber Jones answered on Dec 21, 2017

Alcorn county has put up valuable information on Tax Sales and redemption of property in Mississippi.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Mississippi on
Q: I work in Louisiana and live in Mississippi Louisiana takes taxes out of my check I haven't filed state taxes in either
Jennifer Long
Jennifer Long answered on Aug 13, 2013

I’m not sure that I understand your question. But I have included some information below, taken from the State of MS website. I encourage you to contact a tax professional to take advantage of all tax benefits.

“If you are a Mississippi resident and earn income from another state, you...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.