Orlando, FL asked in Family Law and Adoption for North Carolina

Q: About to turn 18.. can I legally run away to live with a 18yo? Could he/she go to jail for me living with them?

I want to leave my parent's house.. They're manipulative, they don't care about my feelings, the mentally abuse me, etc.. I can't stay here.. I know someone that will take me in, but they're afraid to go to jail.. They said if it was legal.. They would.. I'm 17.. I can't wait another 10 months of this.. Could they go to jail if I stay with them, still go to school, and if I get taken care of? I'm even thinking about getting a job.. Please.. Is there anyway I can stay with them?.. Legally.. I don't want to run away to live there then them go to jail... Please... There has to be a way...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: At 18, it is not called 'running away' it is just called 'leaving your parents house' - which is something you are suppose to do. Until then you need to stop whining and suck it up and deal with it like everyone else. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.