New York, NY asked in Education Law for New York

Q: I Am in need of legal advise concerning my 14 year old son with school phobia .

My son is a 14 year old boy with Dx of school phobia x 7 years. He recently graduated from a district 20 Brooklyn phobia program. He was accepted into a regular HS and was not able to make the change from a phobic program to a regular school. I am placing an impartial hearing to try and get DOE to pay for a private school . I have spoken to district 20 staff and they can not offer a bridge program or any other program to prepare him for regular school.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: What does the IEP say about placement now? You need to have a private opinion from a psychologist that the placement in the IEP is wrong, and call an emergency CSE to amend the IEP. If the IEP is changed to require private school, you are good. Your expert might have to come and present his/her findings. You are not qualified to diagnose any phobias.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.