Santa Ana, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Litigation for California

Q: Lost at trial a civil lawsuite in Los Angeles Superior Court!! - Norwalk! What is the deadline after trial to file appea

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Franklin Klatt
Joseph Franklin Klatt
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • La Jolla, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are several potential deadlines. The most common is "60 days after the superior court clerk serves on the party filing the notice of appeal a document entitled 'Notice of Entry' of judgment or a filed-endorsed copy of the judgment, showing the date either was served." The other deadlines you can find in the California Rule of Court 8.104. This deadline is easy to miss, so err on the side of caution and notice your appeal as soon as you can. You don't have to have written your appeal to notice your appeal. It just starts the process. Then you designate your record, and it will go on from there.

Also note that you have to pay two fees when you appeal, one to the Superior Court and one to the Appellate Court. The latter is quite steep

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.