Philadelphia, PA asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: My car was stolen and found by the police. The officer got the car impounded w/o notifying me. Recovery options w/o fee?

I was not notified when my car was towed away. The cop who found my stolen car got it towed and did not notify me. It has been a month i had to find the tow company myself 36 days later they are charging me 1100 dollars in fees.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This is a major problem. Contact your legislator, AAA, others --the law has to be changed. The question is what the towing company is charging. I don't have a clear, clean answer for this. However, if the person was found and is charged with the crime you may have access via the crime victims compensation act.

Short answer is pay under protest if your car is worth more than the $1100 and hasn't been damaged. You have a right to your posessions including the tag.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.