Asked in Child Support and Education Law for Puerto Rico

Q: What would be considered as education after high school so my father will still be obligated to pay alimony?

-Currently going to University of Puerto Rico but don't want to go

- I am forced to do so because if I'm not "studying" I won't be eligible to the alimony I receive currently

-What constitutes as " education" aside from going to college

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. In Puerto Rico there is no alimony, Just child support until the age of 21. Once the child tienes 21 the child support order will be eliminated if the non-custodial parent request elimination. After the age of 21until the age of 25, a child can request from both parents economical help for the completion of educational purposes. ( See Key vs. Oyola, 116 DPR 263).(

Educational purposes is any formal, trade or short carrier schooling or trainiag facility licenced by the Board of Education for second level ( after high school).

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings. The responsibility of feeding the sons and daughters does not end automatically when they are 21 years old. If he or she began studies as minors, they have the right to request child support to finish their studies. However, this is not an absolute right. The amount of the child support will depend on the needs of the son or daughter, the financial capability of the non custodial parent and the priority that other minor dependents may have. In addition, it is not enough that the son or daughter is studying so that the obligation to pay for their studies arises. The son or daughter must show that he is responsible and able to take advantage of his studies.

That being said. The education for child support purposes is any professional training, license, university or college professional preparation or certification that is approved by a board of education.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.