Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for North Dakota

Q: Can custodial parent move over 150 miles away in same state (north dakota)?

Also can they require the non-custodial parent to travel more than half the distance for their parenting time? Can the custodial parent deny weekday visits saying they can only do visits at a location closer to the custodial parent. Even if this language is not in the court order? The move was also not disclosed until after court documents were signed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: The court order contains all of the requirements. Everything else is just the other parent trying to pull a fast one. An order cannot require that a person never moves - but a person moving could, potentially, have other implications. Unfortunately, you will not get specific advice on this particular case for free because it would take an attorney time to actually read over the court order and go through it with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.