Spartanburg, SC asked in Car Accidents for South Carolina

Q: How do I go about filing an artribation so that liability can be determined?

August 8-I was in an accident. The FR 10 form and Traffic Collisiom Report put the other party at fault

August 20- Other party agreed to pay for damages out of his pocket to avoid it going on his insurance (This is a conversation between the other party, the insurance agent and myself)

September 3-Claim got denied because of word vs. word

September 5-Filed a complaint with SC Insurance Commissioner's Office

September 17-Received a response from Commissioners Office about it being a liability issue. In the letter it does state the situation about the other party agreeing to pay for my damages out of his pocket (I feel as if when he agreed to pay for the damage done on my vehicle he was accepting liability for the accident.)

How do I go about filing an artribation so that liability can be determined?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Carolina attorney would be best suited to answer your question, but it remains open for three weeks. As a general matter, standard motor vehicle forms (depending on the jurisdiction - it's not a sure bet) sometimes contain information on their reverse sides on how to file for arbitration and who the administering entity is (such as the American Arbitration Association). I'm not familiar with South Carolina forms, so I don't know what information is contained in them. You could check with the South Carolina Department of Insurance as to whether they have any resources. You could contact a South Carolina attorney to ask how much they charge for a quick consult, or their possible interest representing you. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.